Capital of the council of the same name. It has a population of 80,000 inhabitants, which makes it the third largest city in Asturias, the head of a region of about 140,000 inhabitants. It is located on the left bank of the Avilés estuary, about 8 meters above sea level. Mentioned in documents from the 10th century, in 1085 it obtained its jurisdiction, granted by King Alfonso VI, confirming those privileges by King Alfonso VII in 1155. It became an important sea and fishing port, supplier of the Asturian capital and with relations with other ports on the European Atlantic coast.
In the 13th century, it was equipped with a circular wall that surrounded the urban nucleus, developing to the north of that center the suburb of Sabugo, with a fishing and seafaring population, separated from the town by the Tuluergo river, currently channeled underground.
A fire devastated the town in 1479. In the Modern Age the urban development of Avilés was scarce. The urbanization of the Galiana and Rivero suburbs begins, an extension of the main axes of the intramural complex. In 1818 the demolition of the medieval wall began, drying out several areas of marshes that surrounded the city, building on one of them the new market or plaza de los Hermanos Orbón (declared a Site of Cultural Interest in) and in others the park of Las Meanas. At the beginning of the 20th century, a great growth was experienced thanks to the expansion of the port and rail traffic, with the construction of numerous villas and bourgeois mansions. In 1950, the great urban transformation of Avilés began with the installation of the state-owned Ensidesa steel company, which attracts a huge working population, from 20,000 to 48,503 inhabitants in just 20 years, and different working-class settlements were built around the city. historical, which remained relatively untouched by expansion, which explains the good condition in which the old town, declared a Historic Site in 1955, has reached our days.