The author of the design was the Cantabrian architect Ignacio de Cagigal, also responsible for works in the Oviedo cathedral such as the Santa Bárbara chapel. This building was born as the monastery of Agustinas Recoletas around 1666. Later, during the French occupation in the early 19th century, it was occupied by troops, and after the confiscation to host the Colegio de la Encarnación, a secondary school. At present, the remaining part of the old monastery and school houses a hotel, preserving the facade of the gatehouse and the entrance to the temple. The chapel is the current dining room of the hotel.