Monastery founded in 1117 by the nobles Alfonso Suárez and his wife Cristilda. Since 1198 it had a pilgrim hospital, which made it a prominent center on the Jacobean coastal route in eastern Asturias. The monastery was one of the great territorial powers of the Llanes council, incorporating in 1544, in addition, the Bedón monastery, another fundamental point of reference on the Jacobean route in Llanes.
The monastery was badly damaged during the War of Independence, dissolving in 1835 with the Confiscation of Mendizábal. At the beginning of the 20th century, the old facilities of the monastery were acquired by the Society of Jesus, being used during the post-civil war period as a prison and a concentration camp. It currently houses a community of nuns from the Congregation of Slaves of Christ the King.
The oldest surviving elements of the monastery are the Romanesque tower and a door of the same style, from the 12th and 13th centuries respectively. The rest of the complex dates from the seventeenth to the twentieth centuries. Its church preserves interesting altarpieces from the Baroque period.