The capital of the council of the same name is located at the mouth of the Sella. The traditional nucleus is located on the right bank of the river, having developed since the end of the XIX the neighborhoods on the other bank, next to the extensive beach of Santa Marina. The urban nucleus officially emerged in 1270 with the Puebla Charter granted by King Alfonso X. It had a port and no walls, the current streets Guillermo González and Oscura being the nucleus of the population. In the 16th century the fear of maritime incursions led to the fortification of the Cerro de Guía.
Ribadesella/Ribeseya’s relationship with the Camino de Santiago dates back to at least the 15th century, documenting in 1486 the existence of a pilgrims’ hospital dedicated to San Sebastián, which in the 16th century was renamed San Roque.