Peñaflor

Population located in one of the most strategic points in western Asturias, next to one of the points where the Nalón River can be easily crossed, thanks to the existing bridge in this place, already documented in 1144. This strategic position within the road that communicates Oviedo with the Asturian West explains the historical importance that Peñaflor has had since ancient times, evidenced in the great role played by the nucleus in the pilgrimages to Compostela and in different battles that took place in this place (for example during the wars of Independence and la Civil), always in order to guarantee control of the strategic Nalón pass.
Peñaflor currently has about two hundred inhabitants.
In the Middle Ages it became a bishop’s preserve, which determined that at the beginning of the 19th century it was an independent municipality for a short period of time, until its definitive integration in Grau/Grado in 1821.
The nucleus of Peñaflor preserves some elements of architectural interest, such as the old town hall, also known as the Obispalía’s house and the parish church of San Juan.

Compartir

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on email
Scroll to Top