Capital of the council of the same name, located around the Nonaya river, near the Sierra del Viso. It has just over 1,500 inhabitants.
In the vicinity of the urban area of Salas, the old church of San Martín is located, a parish church of the town until 1856, and which was founded in the time of the Asturian monarchy, preserving until the 1980s various pre-Romanesque decorative elements that were detached at that time. of the building and transferred to the small museum that was arranged in the palace of Valdés-Salas for its exhibition. The church of San Martín is located next to a centenary yew tree declared a Natural Monument.
The first mention of the town of Salas is from 1120, in a document by which Queen Urraca donates to a nobleman the old castle of Salas, around which the town developed, which stands out for its arrangement around the river and to small squares that became available and that specialized in various commercial uses and in which different mansions and palaces of the local nobility are located, as well as buildings of popular typology and others typical of the taste of the bourgeoisie of the late nineteenth and early of the XX.
The old castle stands out among the hamlet of Salas, transformed over the centuries into the current castle of Valdés-Salas, in front of which stands the collegiate church, from the Renaissance period.
The town of Salas was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest, with the category of Historic Site, in 1994.
In medieval and modern times it had a pilgrims’ hospital, documented for the first time at the beginning of the 15th century, and placed under the dedication of San Roque, whose chapel is still preserved.
- Grocery store
- Bank office
- Pilgrims hostel
- Health Center