In 1666, the Oviedo City Council put the construction of the Casa de Comedias or Teatro del Fontán up for public auction, a building that today is the headquarters of the “Ramón Pérez de Ayala” Asturias Library.
The project was entrusted to the Santander architect Ignacio de Cagijal and was inaugurated in 1670. This is the theater that Leopoldo Alas tells us about in “La Regenta” and in “Her only son of her”.
Once the Campoamor Theater was built, the demolition of the Casa de Comedias was agreed in 1901, with only the façade remaining standing, adorned with a Royal coat of arms in the center and another, with the Cross of the Angels, on the left.
Thus, the current library building took advantage of the entire available site, which had been occupied in the rear by the Fire Station, plus the small residential and commercial site on the corner of Plaza de Daoíz and Velarde with Calle Quintana. .